13 July 2008

Where my heart is

Going places is pretty great, but if anything, it makes you appreciate home all the more. I grew up in a small town (numbers don't matter, it automatically counts as one when strangers walk up to you and ask after your parents "because you look just like them" and that's how they recognized you) in eastern Oregon. Its mountains, lakes and fields will always be home to me.

The view from behind my house. It basically rocks. I love driving out to my house from town. I don't have a good picture of it, but if you have a creative imagination you might see that there is an Indian in these mountains, lying on his back, looking up at the sky.



I suppose it came from the scenery surrounding me while I grew up, but I really love mountains. The Maori people of New Zealand have a saying: "Te hā o taku maunga, ko taku manawa," which means "The breath of my mountain is my heart." They said it in regard to a volcano, but I think the low-lying cloud covers on frosty mornings will do just as well for my favorite non-eruptive mounds of earth.

Another thing I enjoy is all four local seasons: mud, fire, harvest, and cold. Except the mud. That's actually no fun. I think my basic aversion to dirt is due to being dragged on week-long hikes with no showers as a kid. That's "roughing it" to a girl, but clearly heaven to boys.



This is why I don't complain about driving two hours to the closest mall. When you get to look at incredible beauty like this every day, who needs convenient shopping? We even force the city folks to slow down a bit when they roll through town... by driving huge pieces of farm equipment around at 5mph or herding cattle on the highway. And then we wave. :)