05 January 2009

Baggin' It

J and I traveled in style. The Swiss trains were almost never full, except for rush hour trains between the largest cities, which meant we never had to make reservations. We'd just hop on a train, flash our Eurail passes and sit back. This also meant that our backpacks (close friends by this time) could sit with us, rather than languish, cold and lonely, on the luggage racks near the train doors.

I named my backpack "Fatty." Only because he was so heavy I had to put him on standing up or I'd topple over, I promise! I actually did topple over in the Amsterdam airport, but that's a story for another time. Haha. I took this picture on the train between Murten and Avenches, Switzerland.

That's Fatty on the left. J didn't name her bag. I think she didn't want to hurt its feelings.


Fatty looks like a dinosaur from the front. See the eyes on top, and the little hands? ...he's definitely eating something. Grarr!

Fatty and No-Name at Interlaken Ost

Switzerland was the easiest country to get around in by train. Stations are clearly marked, the arrivals/departures boards are easy to find and read, train announcements are in four languages, and there's almost always someone who speaks English if you're in desperation. French trains are very no-nonsense and you must always have a reservation, or else. Dutch train stations were fairly easy to get around, but it was hard to see the station signs when the train pulled in. Italian trains have the best cappucino carts.


In other news: I'm trying the three-column blog style on for size. Also, I have a totally sweet logo that shows up when you bookmark this page. I'm very excited about it. :)

*To paraphrase Mel, comments are like word crack. I just can't get enough. Please help!*

2 comments:

Melissa Murphy said...

I will help feed your addiction.

This post maketh me laugh in my belly. Only you would name a backpack.

Princess M said...

Thank you for the word-crack. :)

It's not just backpacks... it's cars and other inanimate objects that have no business being anthropomorphized. Help.