20 March 2010

oh, the places you ...should be... going!

Lately, no one lets me talk about my trips except to beg for my secrets. Which is fine. Everyone should travel!

Brussels: the center of the universe


How I Traveled Europe (relatively) Cheaply:

  1. Buy a EuRail pass!
  2. Don't eat out a lot... shop at grocery stores. I found a 3€ bottle of wine that was sold for 16€ in a restaurant.
  3. Stay with friends if you have them conveniently located, otherwise hostels or small hotels are your best bet.
  4. Skip the major tourist attractions if you're not absolutely dying to go... in Paris, I went to the Louvre but climbed up Montmartre for a view instead of the Eiffel Tower.
  5. Allow spontaneity. The best times are rarely planned.
  6. If you get the opportunity to go someplace, take it.

My uncle was recently nonplussed when I confessed I did not know the price of beer in Belgium.

No comments: